When looking for outdoor lighting options, solar-powered lights can be a top choice both in terms of cost-effectiveness and low maintenance quality. But since it’s winter you must be wondering do solar-powered security lights work in winter?
Yes, Solar powered security lights work in winter very efficiently if it receives a minimum amount of sunlight during the day. Please keep on reading to find out how they charge on winter days and the advantages of using solar-powered lights.
Basic Working Mechanism of Solar-Powered Security Light
When choosing a security light, your priority will be finding a product that can provide sufficient bright lights and has extended operating times. You certainly do not want your lights to go off when your guests are walking on the driveway!
Solar-powered security lights are highly photosensitive objects that can absorb sunlight during the daytime and convert it to electrical energy and store them in rechargeable batteries.
Depending on your light system, the security light can be either motion sensitive or will remain switched on throughout the night. Generally, a solar security light can run for 12 hours on a fully charged battery. The motion-sensitive security light turns on for 60 seconds at the slightest detection of motion around it.
Do Solar Powered Security Lights Work in Winter?
With the current freezing temperatures and distinct lack of sunlight during the winter, you might be worried about the effectiveness of your solar-powered security light. However, I am here to tell you that, you can safely put your concerns to rest.
Charges in minimum light
Solar security lights are extremely light-sensitive; they can absorb even the minimum light rays filtering through on gloomy days. Besides they are equipped with powerful rechargeable batteries that can provide support for a while before your device can revive.
The solar panels are designed in a tilted way so that snow will not be stuck onto the lights. They are also configured to survive harsh weather conditions like hail, rain, snow, and storms.
Lower Temperature Enhance Charging Process
Are you thinking extreme cold temperatures will affect the charging process? It actually does, but not in the way you are thinking.
Research has found that higher temperatures during sunny days can actually hinder the charging capacity of your security lights. Whereas the lower temperatures during the winter work to efficiently charge your light.
Snow can be helpful
White snow can reflect light. This actually helps your device receive more thermal energy during winter. To enhance the performance of your security light during winter, you can undertake a few of these easy measures:
- Use energy-conserving motion-detecting spotlights.
- Position lights in places where they can get the highest sunlight exposure.
- Clean the solar light panels at regular intervals to achieve improved results.
Read our article on Solar Charging on Cloudy days to know more about how solar-powered lights charge on gloomier days and how you can ensure optimized usage of your solar lights.
Advantages of using Solar Powered Security Lights
Solar-powered outdoor light is an excellent approach to using renewable energy resources. There are many advantages of using this incredibly popular lighting system:
- No Operational Cost: These lights are very easy to install and do not have any operational costs. They work independently and will not affect your electric bill at all.
- Very Low Maintenance: These are automatic devices with highly sensitive sensors which can work entirely on their own. You do not need to turn the lights on or off. You do not have to undertake any major maintenance other than cleaning the panels every few months.
- Very Durable: These solar-powered security lights are designed to be very resilient in all types of weather including rain, hail, storms, snow, and subzero temperatures. They are polished with resin which can prevent rusting and also prevent water from entering inside electrical components.
- Does not need wiring: As the solar lights are run on solar-powered batteries so they are not connected to your main electrical grid. Hence you do not need any messy wiring to install them and at the same time enhance your home security without extra costs.
- Increases Home Security: While your guests will be safe from stumbling in driveways, solar security also provides another advantage. The motion detector lights can deter home invasion. They have a wide range of detection areas and very optimized lighting.
Read More: Do Solar Lights Charge On Cloudy Days?
At a time when Americans are becoming more conscious about utilizing fossil fuels and environmental pollution, solar light sources are a great use of green energy. These solar-powered security lights do not produce any toxic gas or chemical and are completely eco-friendly. So, take the next step and get these incredible lighting systems for your outdoor pathways and porches.
1. Can solar lights be left outside in winter?
Answer: Solar lights are designed to work in all kinds of weather. So, they can be left outside in the winter to light up those long winter nights.
2. How long do solar-powered lights Last?
Answer: In general, a good quality solar-powered light can be expected to last for years. The batteries do not need to be changed before 3-4 years and the LED lights can last for up to a decade.
3. Are solar security lights any good?
Answer: Solar security lights are a great low-cost and ecological method to light your outdoors. These are very effective automatic devices with low maintenance and are independent of electrical connections.