Coffee is one of the most popular beverages among people of all ages. People all over the world are familiar with different variations of this caffeinated drink. In America alone, people consume around 400 million cups of coffee every day – making the country one of the leading consumers of coffee across the globe. A cup of steamy hot espresso or an iced latte can make anyone’s day better! However, coffee can become stale and distasteful overnight if you don’t store it properly. But sometimes you may wonder does coffee go bad overnight, so here is the guide is it happens or not.
Different Types of Coffee
There are numerous variations of coffee drinks available that you can choose from. The taste and flavor of the drink might depend on the type of beans it is made from, the way the beans were roasted, or the brew.
There are three prominent types of coffee beans –
- Arabica: The most prevalent and frequently used beans. Although it is extensively available, it is difficult to produce. This particular type of beans contains natural sugar which gives the coffee an exquisite taste.
- Robusta: Derived from a particular coffee plant found in sub-Saharan Africa, Robusta is the second most popular type of beans. It contains more caffeine than Arabica and has a more bitter taste. However, the coffee beans don’t last well if they’re stored for too long, they might lose their aroma and essence.
- Liberica: Native to western and central Africa, Liberica beans have a similar taste to Robusta. But it contains slightly less amount of caffeine and is packed with diverse flavors. It is known for its unique smokey taste.
Besides various kinds of beans, there are also different ways of roasting them:
- Light Roast: High in caffeine and acidity
- Medium Roast: Well-balanced and toasty taste with a nutty aroma
- Dark Roast: Low in caffeine with a hint of spicy flavor
- Extra Dark Roast: Lowest level of caffeine with a bitter, smoky taste
Read Also: Cold Brew vs Iced Coffee
Diverse Beverage Options
You can prepare different types of beverages using the same ground coffee, you can even get creative and create your personal drink!
- Espresso: Made with delicately ground dark coffee beans, espressos have a very intense and flavorful taste. A cup of well-made espresso is the best way to start your morning and it will keep you energized throughout the day!
- Latte: This drink is made from espresso and some additional dairy elements. Comprised of espresso, steamed milk, and foamed milk – a latte is an enjoyable beverage if you’re not a big fan of black coffee.
- Cappuccino: A drink made with espresso and steamed milk, layered on top with milk foam. It is light and refreshing to the palate.
- Mocha: It is very popular among young people for its chocolaty taste. Mocha is almost like a cappuccino but is served with chocolate syrup, sweetened whipped cream, and other additional condiments.
- Iced coffee: Another refreshing caffeinated beverage that is simply made from the black coffee brew, ice, and your preferred condiments. People often get confused between iced coffee and cold brew but the two are quite different from one another. Iced coffee is made from a regular hot brew. Whereas, cold brew, as the name suggests, has to be made with cold water. They both are equally delicious.
Does Coffee Go Bad Overnight
While coffee beans can last up to six months if you store them properly in the freezer, beverages only last for a day or two until they go bad. But even coffee beans lose their fragrance and strong flavor if you store them for far too long. So, to answer your question – yes, coffee can go bad overnight.
Black coffee might stay well for a day but consuming it while it’s fresh is highly recommended. If your coffee contains sugar and other dairy products, it may last for an even shorter period. Coffees made with dairy condiments can go bad overnight, they may last for a day if you refrigerate but the flavor and taste will not be the same. The coffee might become sour and give off a rancid smell. Your beverage may also develop molds if it is kept outside unattended for a long period.
Read Also: Does Coffee Make You Short
What Happens If You Drink Old Coffee
Since a coffee drink can go bad overnight, obviously it will not taste as fresh and delicious as the original one. But drinking coffee made out of old beans will not make you sick necessarily. However, drinking old caffeinated beverages can prove to be harmful. Consuming stale and leftover coffee can cause you stomach ache, digestion problems, or even diarrhea. Worst case scenario, your favorite coffee might give you food poisoning if you don’t consume it within the recommended time!
How To Store Coffee
- Coffee Beans: Beans should be stored in a dark and cool place, away from heat, moisture, and immediate sunlight. Make sure you have the right temperature if you’re storing them outside. You can even freeze them to store for a longer period but they might lose their original charm.
- Ground Coffee: Store ground coffee in airtight, durable containers. Make sure to use a container that is not transparent to keep the coffee away from sunlight. The coffee should be stored in a dry place without any hint of moisture. It’s best to have ground coffee within one or two weeks of their being bought. But it might be reserved for a few months in the freezer if you’re willing to sacrifice the original taste.
- Coffee Brew: Brewed coffee stays fresh for up to three to four days if you store it in the refrigerator. Let your hot brew cool down to room temperature and pour it into a carafe before placing it in the fridge. You can heat it up before you make your drink.
- Beverage: Storing caffeinated beverages isn’t ideal but if you’re really willing to take the risk, you can store your coffee in the freezer and heat it up before having it. This is generally not recommended since consuming stale coffee might harm your health. Always be cautious about the fact that these beverages can go bad overnight or even within a few hours.
Read Also: How Long Do Coffee Beans Last
Coffee is undoubtedly one of the highly preferred beverages out there. Whether it is an espresso in the morning to kick start your day or an iced coffee in the afternoon to refreshen you, this beverage can do it all! You can also get creative while preparing these drinks and customize them however you want. Just make sure you’re using freshly ground coffee or brew to enjoy the perfect taste!