If you have a box or handheld fan, unplug it and remove the outer cover to clean it. Apply an adequate amount of soap to a slightly damp cloth, and then wipe the fan thoroughly. You can also use a hose to spray the cover once it has been removed. So this how to clean a fan?
But do not wipe the fan blades unless they can be removed because it will damage the fan motor.
However, if you prefer a drier method, you can use compressed air to remove the dust. A vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment is also a good choice.
Many people don’t prioritize cleaning their fans because it’s hard to reach the ceiling, and using a ladder can be dangerous. But it is an excellent option to wipe your fans once in a while because the chances that it needs cleaning it very high.
But if you don’t wipe your fan, it will circulate dirt in your house, and you surely do not want to be breathing in harmful particles. An excess amount of dust will also damage the fan motor, and thus the lifespan of the fan will be reduced.
Continue reading to find out how to clean a fan in less than 15 minutes or so.
How to Clean a Fan?
Steps you need to follow in cleaning a stand fan.
Things that you will need:
- Warm water
- Dish soap
- A few towels
- A screwdriver in case if your fan has a grater.
- Turn the fan off and unplug it from the source. Always make sure that your electric appliance is not connected whenever you are cleaning it.
- Remove the grate from the fan for the best results of cleaning. You can use a screwdriver in this process.
- If you want it to be cleaned, you can use a vacuum cleaner to clean the grate. It would be great if it had a brush attached to it to prevent scratches on the fan. Wipe down the plastic or metal grate using a damp cloth or towel.
- After you have removed and cleaned your grate, you can move on to cleaning the blades. Put detergent or soap on a cloth and wipe the fan blades thoroughly. You can use wipe the power cord while it is unplugged too.
- Before reassembling your fan, make sure that every part is dried adequately because you do not want water seeping into the electric components as it can be extremely harmful.
- Now reattach the grate to the fan, and your lover is looking brand new again.
Now, you might ask how to clean a fan in the living room or kitchen? Well, we have got you covered. Ceiling fans are very different from fans that are for personal use or smaller spaces in general. As more people go in and out of your living room, your fan will accumulate more dust.
How to clean a ceiling fan?
- Take a ladder or use an extendable pole and attach a brush or duster on the upper portion.
- Make sure your ceiling fan is off.
- Start by dusting off each fan gradually.
- If you can reach the fan, then you can also wipe the blades with a damp cloth. You can also use a microfiber cloth for best results, although it is not necessary.
It is best to clean ceiling fans once every seven or eight weeks. Or else the dust from the fan will get on your other furniture.
How to Clean a Box Fan?
Box fans are a trendy choice in many houses. Here’s how you can efficiently clean a box fan:
- Use a drill or screwdriver to remove the fan grate.
- Fill your bathtub with a bit of soap and let your fan grate soak for 10-15 minutes, and then you can wipe it with a dry towel. A degreaser can also be used to break down stains or dirt.
- Spray your degreaser on a towel, or you can dip it in soapy water.
- Now, wipe the outer box of the fan.
- Use a drill or screwdriver to attach the grate back to place.
What to do if my fan can’t be opened?
If the grate of your fan cannot be opened, then spray compressed air on the grate and blades to get rid of the dust.
1. How can I efficiently clean the fan blades?
Use a damp cloth or towel. You can also use a multipurpose cleaning spray for best results.
2. How often should I clean my fan?
Well, the answer depends on what kind of fan you own, how many people are there, your location, and your cleaning habits. However, it is best if you clean your fan every four or five weeks.
3. How can I stop my fan from accumulating dust?
Use a light waxing mix or furniture polish. This helps clean any furniture, and the effect will last a long time.
4. Is it harmful if I sleep in front of a fan?
Like I have mentioned before, the dust from fans will indeed circulate. And if the air from the fan blows directly onto your face, you can have difficulty breathing, sore throats, dry sinuses, and other lung-related diseases.
5. Can a fan be cleaned with a hose?
Yes, you can use a hose. But make sure the water does not get into the motor. Secondly, make sure the fun is not plugged in. You can use a brush attachment and then wipe it down with a towel before using it.
6. Can I use a duster to clean my fan?
You surely can. However, a duster may not have the same force as a vacuum cleaner attachment or provide a clean wipe like a towel. So the cleaning might not be entirely successful.
Cleaning is a big part of sanitization. And while we are on the topic of staying clean and sanitary habits, you can check out our other articles on Can You Flush Condoms and Can You Flush Tampons Down the Toilet.
Thank you for reading our article on How to Clean a Fan. We hope this has helped you get a better view of why cleaning is necessary. The air inside the house contains pollutants like asbestos and carbon monoxide, which is rare in outdoor air.
So it’s best to clean all furniture and appliances once every few weeks.